This is the first time I’ve created a cupcake recipe for myself so I thought I would jot it down for all to see…
- 120g plain flower
- 140g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 40g unsalted butter
- 80ml whole milk
- 3 tsbs strong espresso (cooled)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 2 tsbs strong espresso coffee (cooled)
- 1 tsb Kahlua
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat over to 170c and set up a tray will cup cake cases.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter until a sandy consistency.
- Add the espresso and about a third of the milk and mix.
- In a different bowl, mix the vanilla, egg and remaining milk then add to the main bowl and mix until the mixture is smooth (don’t worry if it’s quite runny – this is fine).
- Put the mixture into a piping bag or a plastic bag and cut the corner off. Pipe the mixture into the paper cases (about two thirds full).
- Pop in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- The next bit is a matter of opinion but with cupcakes I usually turn them out on a wire rack to cool immediately rather than waiting.
For the icing
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together.
- Add the liquids and mix until well blended.
- I used a couple of coffee beans to garnish.
Let me know how it works out if you try it!