I’ve been reading a lot so far this year – and really enjoying it! This time last year I think I had read around 15 books and so far – 25.
- I’m really much more enjoying reading this year, some of it may be because my friend Loïs is someone who also loves books and we regularly chat about books and give each other recommendations.
- I’ve been challenging myself to read both books that have been on my shelf of a while and those that are recently published.
- I’ve also been trying to read everything from the Orange Prize for Fiction 2012 Shortlist (not sure I’ll do this again – some hits and misses!)
- Out of my 25 books so far, 14 of these have been on my Kindle (which I was given for Christmas)
- I still haven’t read hardly any from my 2012 reading list – I soooooo don’t like telling myself to do something!
- My FAVOURITE book so far has been State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I heartily recommend it to anyone that hasn’t read it yet!
So, my list so far has been:
- Deja Dead – Kathy Reichs
- Jamrach’s Menagerie – Carol Birch
- The Frozen Lake – Elizabeth Edmondson
- Before I Go to Sleep – SJ Watson
- The Last Dragonslayer – Jasper Fforde
- The Song of the Quarkbeast – Jasper Fforde
- The Distant Hours – Kate Morton
- Devil’s Sonata – Elizabeth Edmondson
- What a Carve Up! – Jonathan Coe
- Ordinary Thunderstorms – William Boyd
- Consumer Detox – Mark Powley
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen – Paul Torday
- The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
- Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
- Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins
- Solar – Ian McEwan
- Rebecca – Daphne du Maurier
- The Forgotten Waltz – Anne Enright
- Rebecca’s Tale – Sally Beauman
- Thornyhold – Mary Stewart (old favourite!)
- Life of Pi – Yann Martel
- Boom! – Mark Haddon
- Half Blood Blues – Esi Edugyan
- Nightwoods – Charles Frazier
- State of Wonder – Ann Patchett
I’m also part of a book group and our musings on those books can be found at www.edinburghbookgroup.com.
What are your favourite reads so far this year?